Friday, December 21, 2007

The Beginning...


Here we go. The start to many months and many miles of training. So, why you ask would we want to run hundreds of miles and put our bodies through what will inevitably be a slow and torturous death? No, it's not because we're like those creepy people who actually like pain. For me at least, this is something I have always wanted to accomplish.

I know what you're thinking, a lot of people say that. A marathon is commonly on the list of things people want "to do before they die." Well, I admit, it's on my list too. Hopefully I will live on after this race to check off more list items. That is yet to be seen.

But apparently I am not the only one with one of these must-accomplish-before-I-croak-lists. My best friend, Kristi, has one too. And a marathon was right at the top. Kris and I have talked about running a marathon together since college. We would drive through the rain, snow and traffic from Draper to BYU and talk about all of our life-long-goals. These are memories I cherish, and it wasn't until we both moved back to Utah after stints in AZ (Kristi) and Iowa (Jen) this year that we decided it was time. Time to finally strap on our running shoes and go for it.

And, we've been able to convince other poor souls that running a marathon should be on their list for this year too. We met for lunch Wednesday and made our game plan. I'm making it sound really scary, and it is, but I am filled with excitement and enthusiasm. So far I'm right on track with our new running schedule: 2 days down, A LOT to go. But I'm taking it one day at a time.

Tomorrow is our first group run and I am so excited! Can't wait to see what location Kristi picks.

No comments: