Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hills are your friends

Girls, I think that was one of the hardest runs I've done in a long time. The first 36 minutes were brutal. I remember when I was running before, one of the leaders of our running group would say, "Hills are your friends." What? No, no, no! I would get so mad as we would be running up these hills and then to have someone running, passing beside me saying, "Hills are your friends." "Keep it up!" No thanks! I hate hills! Hate the way I pant going up them and can hardly hear the music from my ipod over my breathing & heart pounding. Hate them! Hate them! But, now, I do have to agree with the annoying woman from my running group. It's true. In the long run (which we are really going for the long run), hills will be our friends. They are such good training. It would almost be like running double mileage with all the hills we ran up yesterday. Even though we ran more the first time, no one can argue that we didn't' work more this time.

Also, another thing I think about when running up hills besides they are my friends, is that most of the time, I will get to run all the way back down them. And, running down hill, to me, is a complete BLAST! It was so much fun to run back down the hill we ran up. It is rewarding for me to know, "Hey, I just ran all the way up this." It is an accomplishment! I get the runner's high when I run down hill. You run faster and it is a whole heck of a lot easier. I loved it! So, no matter how bad it was running up, it's a reward to run back down.

Jen, you're so funny about calling me a road-runner. Absolutely, not true. You are the little speedster who keeps us going all along the runs and reminds us that it is time to start running again if we have been walking. But, I do love ending runs. There is something that motivates me knowing, I will be done in less than 1 minute, or done after I run up a hill, and I just think I want to get done with this as soon as I possibly can so I can rest. I like the feeling knowing I pushed my body to do more than I thought it could, or knowing I had nothing left to give. Which, yesterday, I was totally spent after I ran, which to me was good. But, I am definitely not the cartoon road-runner.

Kera, wow! You really changed over to the dark side yesterday! Ha,ha! Miss cheerleader! Maybe we need to give you a new title besides the realist! I hope the pain you feel will start to ease. I cannot run in pain. I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain. I won't run if I have a cramp or something hurts on my body. The fact that you keep pushing through it, is really impressive to me. I hope that the more you run, the more your body will get used to it and you won't have to deal with the pain.

Tara, I'm glad you could join us for the first time! It was really a hard run and I know the more you get acclimated to running outside, the easier it will be for you. I don't think it will take that long. Just a couple more times and you should be adjusted. Keep it up!

Kimmie, I am so glad you have been running! Yeah! I can't wait for you to join us next Saturday! It will so fun to complete this with you.

Alright, run #2 down. Many more to come!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Kristi, hills won't ever be friends of mine:)