Saturday, March 1, 2008

Our Ultra-Half Marathon, and why I hate boys

An Ultra-Marathon is by definition, any race over 26.2 miles. There's a such thing, you ask? Why yes, though I am convinved all of the mental hospitals empty out on race day because only someone INSANE would try to run one. My super-runner friend from high school, Amy, just completed her first of 34 miles and said I should "definitely do one too" after I complete a few regular marathons. Sha-yeah. I can totally do that! Right after I lose my mind!

Well, since we are training for just a plain, ol' regular marathon, I thought I would talk about how amazing we all are for completing our first "Ultra-Half-Marathon" today, that is anything over 13.1. We did a whopping 15 miles today, and I've gotta say, it was a GREAT run for me!

There was a bit of panic when I woke up this morning and still didn't know our meeting place. Kristi, poor thing, was helping her husband Phil with his business until the wee hours of the morn' and didn't have time to contact us all. But just after I woke up, I got a call from Kris. We were meeting at her house in Herriman, and she had already mapped out a plan. She's always so awesome like that.

She was able to get ahold of everyone, with one exception.... Kera. We tried again, and again, and again, and again, and AGAIN to reach her, but she wouldn't answer and we didn't know what to do! We had to leave her. We missed her so much!

In her place, there was a sweet skinny male co-worker of Kristi's, who seemingly decided recently, "Hey, this running a marathon thing can't be THAT hard, so even though the most I've run is a meager 4 miles, I think I can handle 15! I mean, how rough could it be?" I kind of laughed a little to myself thinking, buddy, you have no idea what you're in for. We've been training since December, and you're just joining us today? Good luck, I thought. You'll need it.

We piled in the car and drove the route, leaving treasure treats along the way. The plan was to make a 7 1/2 mile loop, come back to Kristi's, then make the loop again. Kristi was sure to include a few hills (and they were big ones) since our 13 miler a couple weeks ago was mostly downhill.

We started running, and I was feeling pretty good. The first hill was a killer and just before we reached the top, I heard dilusional-boy pant "Holy Cow!" I smiled. We had a loooooong way to go. But, as we kept on keeping on, dilusional-boy stayed right there, with Kristi and I in the lead. He wasn't even breaking a sweat. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? I kept thinking to myself. We finished the first loop, and prepared for the second. Kimmie caught up with us. She was a sickie all week, and wasn't quite herself, but she kept going!

We had just started the second half when we saw Tara and Melissa walking toward us. Tara said she was done, her knees just hurt too much. (So sorry, Tara!) Melissa said she would keep going with us. Usually we kind of naturally run in pairs. Kris and I in the lead, Kimmie and Kera right behind, and Melissa and Tara in the tail. I knew it would be rough for Melissa and Kimmie to keep going without their partners, but they did it, and I'm so proud!

I was feeling great the whole run! Kristi and I were going strong, and to our chagrin, so was the boy who stayed with us the ENTIRE way. He broke a sweat on mile 9, but didn't even fall behind. And, that is why I hate boys. They can simply decide to accomplish some heroic athletic feat, and somehow, it's like no big deal. He went from 4 to 15 in one freaking week!!!!! It will make me feel a little better if he's sore this week, because goodness knows I'm limping around the station tonight, as my IT band feels like it has needles sticking all over it.

This was, without doubt, my favorite run so far. My endurance was up, I stayed strong the entire run, and didn't walk a bit-- not even up the seemingly endless hills! Thanks Kris for planning an awesome route, and for the oranges and bananas. It's so nice to get a little refueling along the way.

I'm sooooo ready for next week! And, something tells me Super-Boy will be too. Awesome.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Jen you really had a great run! I can't believe how beautiful you looked after you came out of the bathroom! Seriously...I am still in shock. There could be no way you just ran 15 miles! I don't know how you do it!

foxontherun said...

Thanks for sharing your running journal. I love to read it. You guys will do great. I just wish I could meet you all in your designer duds after the marathon.